Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day Stories

TERYN'S MEMEORY - Teryn couldn't identify one favorite memory, but had lots of good memories. He said that even though his dad worked really hard, he was very involved with the family. His father taught Teryn mechanics and welding. He also went on lots of hunting and fishing trips where they shot ducks and doves and caught bass, catfish, and trout. Every year his family went on a major vacation to a different state. Usually they camped out and did a variety of outdoor activities. One favorite trip was when they rented a jeep in Colorado, and went to the back country. Teryn was very athletic, and his father went to all his games and was even his baseball coach during grade school. Teryn also went with his father to check wells during his Elementary and Jr. High years. Teryn has a lot of fond memories of good times.

CINDA'S MEMORY - My favorite memory about my father happened when I was in kindergarten. I doubt if he even remembers it, but somehow it captures the essence of childhood for me! 'Daddy' picked me up every day at noon and took me home where 'Mommy' had lunch waiting. Our home was about a quarter mile up a dirt road, and behind our house was a huge irrigation ditch. In my mind the ditch was at least 6 foot high.

One day he picked me up and it was raining cats and dogs! He was afraid to drive the pickup to the house for fear of getting stuck, so he parked the truck by the front fence. We took our shoes and socks off and made 'mud boots.' Then we climbed to the top of the irrigation ditch, and walked hand in hand to the house.

I guess 'Mud Boots' is a favorite memory because it was just me and my father, and I felt very special climbing on that high bank with him in the rain. That just goes to show that it's the simple things in life that really matter!

I have lots of other good memories! One of the top has to be 'Surfing' the rapids of the Guadalupe after he tied his old clunky surfboard to some trees on the side of the river. Another good memory was when a friend and I rode our horses 15 miles to Mineral, and her dad and mine met us at our place and we all camped out.

I could go on and on, but I'll end this post by saying, it is a gift to know how to work AND play. It's also a gift to know how to make a child feel special! I'm blessed that my father has both those gifts!

No comments: